Tri-Beam Problems

Tri-Beam Problems

Postby MichiganAngler » Jan 02, 2011

My cousin owns an FL-18 and I've spent a considerable amount of time fishing with him and fell in love with that flasher. So I decided to take the plunge and buy one for myself. I noticed that single beam transducers are a thing of the past now. Every FL-18, 20 and 22 I looked at had the Tri-Beam transducer.

So the owner of my local baitshop caught me staring down an FL-20 the other day and quickly talked me out of it. He said that he's sold 16 flashers with the Tri-Beam ducers since October and has taken back 8 on returns. Performance issues ranging from inability to find bottom, to massive amounts of interference and sensitivity issues.

Yesterday, I ignored his advice and picked up an FL-20 with the Tri-Beam ducer from Cabelas. Got it out on the hard deck today and had problems right away...

It was constantly showing interference as though another sonar unit was parked right next to it; this was not the case. Interference rejection had no effect on it at all. Changing the cone angles also had no effect.

After about 20 minutes, it went crystal clear, but had no sensitivity. I couldn't pick up my jig in the column or on the bottom six feet in auto zoom at all. I tied on a 4 inch spoon just to test it and could BARELY pick it up in the 8 degree cone setting with the gain all the way up in 40 feet of water. The interference would come and go for the rest of the day.

I am not new to the world of flashers... So ruling out the obvious, battery issues, ice on the ducer, bad connections, etc, do you guys have any ideas? I'm in a holding pattern until I can borrow the fixed cone transducer off my cousins FL-18 and try to isolate the problem a little more.

If it does turn out to be the transducer, do you think Vexilar will cover it under warranty? I don't want to drop $80 on a fixed cone ducer, but I really don't need this Tri-Beam either.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Ken
MichiganAngler

Re: Tri-Beam Problems

Postby Matt Johnson » Jan 02, 2011

Ken,

I've been running Tri-Beam ducers all winter and haven't experienced what you're going through so I don't really have an answer for a troubleshooting option. I'd give Pat in customer service a call... he'll get you dialed in... 952-884-5291

Please let us know what you find out. Thanks...
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
www.MattJohnsonOutdoors.com
Year-round Guided Fishing Trips
Matt Johnson
Vexilar Pro Staff

Postby Quinteman » Jan 05, 2011

I've had some problems with too much interference and not being able to see my lure but I am finding the it is a matter of me learning how to make the correct adjustments with gain and beam selection to resolve these issues. There is more to the tri beam units than one realizes. They take time to really learn how to fine tune them.
Quinteman

Postby Matt Breuer » Jan 13, 2011

I have heard of and seen this problem on a couple of Tri-Beams. One guy had an issue with only his 12* and another guy had the 12* and 20* not working. Of course Pat and Greg took care of them and they have perfect-working 'ducers now. Sounds like some weird glitch on a batch possibly? Glad Vexilar has such great customer service for issues that do rarely arise....
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
http://www.northcountryguides.com
Matt Breuer
Vexilar Pro Staff

Postby fishrman » Jan 14, 2011

I had mine out today for the 2nd time this season in less than 10 foot water. I was in about 8 feet. I had the beam set at 8 degrees and couldn't believe the green bars between the top and bottom. Appeared like interference. Couldn't make out my jig at all. I switched to the 12 degree and I had less interference of green bars showing. The best looking view was actually the 20 degree cone angle. It showed no interference but it also couldn't pick up my jig. I was at 0 for my gain. When I turned up the gain at the 20 degree cone angle, it looked like it did at the 8 and 12 settings, showed green bars like interference. I don't have a clue what was happening but if I can't get it to read correctly in 10 feet of water, something must not be right. When I used it the other day, I was in 20 foot and got along fine except for the interference with 2 other Vexilars off and on depending on how close we were. Here is a pic of it at the 20 degree setting. I took pics at the 8 and 12 degree settings but for some reason, the pics didn't show the green bars showing up so no need of trying to show you those but believe me the 8 and 12 settings were very green almost like fishin brush piles.
Last edited by fishrman on Jan 14, 2011, edited 1 time in total.
fishrman

Postby JJH » Jan 14, 2011

Were you set up top of weeds?
JJH

Postby fishrman » Jan 14, 2011

I seriously don't know. I had never fished the pond before but if I was, why would there be less green on the screen at 20 degrees than at 8?
fishrman

Postby davenjohn » Jan 23, 2011

I also face these problems..... :roll: :roll:
davenjohn

Postby Matt Johnson » Jan 24, 2011

Did you guys give Pat in customer service a call?... he'll get you dialed in... 952-884-5291

Please report your findings back here for us...

It does look like there might be some sort of weed or vegetation down there though... otherwise some other type of structure or bottom composition...
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
www.MattJohnsonOutdoors.com
Year-round Guided Fishing Trips
Matt Johnson
Vexilar Pro Staff

Postby zman » Jan 26, 2011

First Off, you made a great decision with your new vexilar. The Tri-Beam problem you are experiencing is something that was new to us here at Vexilar. After extensive testing in the field we launched the Tri-Beam with great reviews. Only problem with transdcuers is that in this case, exactly why some fail and others do not is a puzzel. Although all transducer crystals have their moments and We have seen all of our transdcuers at one point or another stop working and for reasons we can never really establish.

At this point all we can do is get another Tri-Beam to you ASAP and get you up to speed. Every Tri-Beam is tested here at the factory prior to shipping and when one fails in the field, we are not only concerned, but do back flips to find out why. If you could send it back that would be great for sure. The challenge with crystal technology, is that you can only do so much to understand how and why they work before you say this is like a magic trick. Turning energy into sound and sound back into energy is one of the miricals of our time for sure. The Tri-Beam is the most advanced tranducer crystal design ever made for the average guy and making it consistantly perfect is our goal.

Lets get to work on your problem and get you fishing! Pleae contact the Vesxilar Service Department for Details 952-884-5291 and ask for Steve
zman

Next

Return to Flashers